Thursday 11 November 2010

Masthead Font Ideas

After choosing my magazine name, I downloaded several different fonts that I thought would fit in with the genre of my magazine.

The first font reminds me of music speakers, this font would be good for my magazine, as it relates to the genre in the sense of loud music. The font is quite individual which also relates to the style of the magazine. However my I asked my target market for feedback, they felt it wasn't as suitable font for a masthead as it was too decorative.

The second font also reflects my genre as the letters are quite disjointed and edgy. I think this would be a good font to use for my masthead as the lettering is clear and easy to read, as well as fitting in with the genre. My target market also chose this font as their overall favorite as they said it was the one that fit the genre most, and the one that would be most appealing on the front cover of a magazine.

The third font is very bold and strong, personally I feel this font would fit an R'n'B or Hip Hop magazine better than it would an indie magazine as they are quite strong genres. I also think the font is quite plain and simple and may not catch the readers eye when presented in a shop with a number of other magazines. My target market agreed with this, as they chose this as one of their least favorite fonts out of them all.

The fourth font is similar to the second in the sense of the letters are disjointed and for the genre, however with the decorative style added to it, the font could be difficult to read and therefore unsuitable for a masthead. This was was target markets second favorite font as its quite edgy and unique, because of this, I could use this font else where in my magazine as my target audience like it, but not as a masthead font.

I think the fifth font would be unsuitable for my magazine as it doesn't relate to my genre, I think this would be more suitable for a pop magazine as it reminds me of disco music. The font is also quite difficult to read, so would also be unsuitable for a masthead font. This was also my target markets least favorite font.

The final font is easy to read, yet still has an element of decoration, however I don't think I suits my genre better than font 2/4. I think this font would be better suited to and pop/dance magazine, it was also the second least favorite with my target audience, so becuase of this I wouldn't use it.

After evaluating each font, and asking my target market for feedback, I have decided to use the font 'Birth of a hero' as my main font for my masthead.

No comments:

Post a Comment